HD & LD Porter Store
The Porter Brothers arrived from Randsburg in 1905 with 18 wagon loads of merchandise and built
a store. The HD & LD Porter Store was the leading merchant in Rhyolite, Nevada. Customers were able to purchase
groceries and fresh vegetables, clothing and assessories, mining supplies, hardware, lumber, furniture, hay, grain,
and Studebaker wagons from this store. The store also offered freight animals for rent. Their slogan was, "We
handle all good things but whiskey." Their first store in Rhyolite was located at Main and Esmeralda and opened in
June 1905. The concrete, one story with basement and huge store front windows, building located on Golden Street
was built in 1906. It was opened for business in November 1906. The lot was purchased for $1,200 and estimated
building construction is $10,000.
The company had warehouses located in Beatty and Rhyolite, selling both wholesale and retail
You can see the Porter Store is in
the background behind the elephants. This photo is of a circus parade on Golden Street, Rhyolite
For additional photos see the Porter Store Photo
Remains of Porter Store in Rhyolite, Nevada, 2009.
Photo © 2009 Alfreda Holloway.
All Rights Reserved.