Newspapers & Publications
in the Bullfrog District
The townsite of Rhyolite, Nevada had three newspapers and one magazine publications at one
The Rhyolite Herald was started by Earle R Clemens and Guy T Keene. The first issue was
published on May 5, 1905 and the last June 22, 1912. The paper was published weekly. On October 2, 1909 the
Rhyolite Herald absorbed the Bullfrog Miner. Keene eventually sold out to Clemens. The
Rhyolite Herald ended up being the longest running newspaper in Rhyolite. Clemens also was involved with
the publications of newspapers in neighboring camps. He was publisher of the Hornsilver Herald and began
the Pioneer Press and the Transvaal Tribune.
The Bullfrog Miner started out in Bullfrog, Nevada, with Frank P Mannix as publisher.
The first issue was published March 31, 1905. The operation was moved to Rhyolite, Nevada, March, 30, 1906. It was
a weekly publication. Publication ceased on September 25, 1909 when it was absorbed by the Rhyolite
Herald. There was also a newspaper by the name of Bullfrog Miner in Beatty, Nevada, which started
around the same time as the one in Bullfrog. The one in Beatty changed its name to the Beatty Bullfrog
Miner a few months later.
Rhyolite Daily Bulletin
The Bulletin Publishing Company began publishing the Rhyolite Daily Bulletin on
September 23, 1907. As the name implies, this was a daily newspaper. The company was owned by John App, Richard
Carr and Charles Peterson. Publication was suspended from May 17, 1908 until September 6, 1908. The last issue was
dated June 8, 1909.
Death Valley Prospector / Death Valley Magazine
District Attorney, Paul DeLaney, of the Death Valley Prospector began publication
November, 1907. In December, 1907 the magazine was renamed Death Valley Magazine. The magazine folded in