Tom Kelly Bottle House
The famous bottle house was completed in 1906 on Amargosa Street by Tom Kelly, a local saloon
keeper. The bottle house was made of empty beer and liquor bottles, which Mr. Kelly collected from the back yards
of local saloons. The bottles were laid on their sides and embedded with adobe mud mortar.
Paramount Pictures restored the building in 1925, for the filming of "Wanderer of the
Wasteland." After the filming, the bottle house was given to the Beatty Improvement Association for maintenance as
a historical relic. It was maintained as a museum until 1956. Today it is owned and maintained by the Bureau of
Land Management. In 2005 the building was stabilized by the Bureau of Land Management. Broken bottles, trim on the
corners, and the porch flooring and railing were replaced.
There were additional bottle houses in Rhyolite. One being mostly underground in the area of the
two story school house.
Today the bottle house sets behind a fence with a locked gate. When the care taker is available
the gate is unlocked and you may enter the grounds. Admittance inside the house is not permitted.
Tom Kelly Bottle House - 1905.
Tom Kelly Bottle House - 2009
Photo © 2009 Alfreda Holloway. All Rights Reserved.
For additional photos see the Tom Kelly Bottle House Photo Album.